Monday, January 17, 2011

Old man Creek 14-01-2011 & 18-01-2011

Went out to the creek on the 14th to have a big scout around down stream in the Hobies.
I was a little disappointed when I arrived at the weir to find that the water had stopped flowing over the wall. My thoughts were that now we would have to work allot harder for our fish instead of having them gifted to us by the running water.. haha. Needless to say Kanck hooked up to a Trout Cod within minutes of arriving at the weir, he lost the fish but it gave our confidence a boost. But after about 3 hours and a few kilometres downstream later we lost a lot of hope. It was interesting to have a look downstream but the fishing was not exciting for me, Kanck managed 2 Golden's and a Murray Cod for the day and I ended mine still stuck on a doughnut! We both agreed that there is very little need to venture to far downstream, because the few kilometers around the weir are productive enough!

Even small cod will take large profiled lures

I left the creek that afternoon very disappointed about the water level and as such didn't head out at all over the weekend.

I was lying in bed at 5.30am on the 18th and couldn't decide whether it was worth getting up to go for a fish, a few elbows in the ribs from the other half after I snoozed my alarm 4 or 5 times was enough to wake me up and motivate me to head out.

Another 42cm on this puppy and I'll be allot happier

I had a huge confidence boost when I arrived to see water plummeting over the weir again, things were looking good! My first three cast were met with semi aggressive strikes but I just couldn't hook up. Eventually the hooks stuck on a well conditioned 45cm Trout Cod on a 70ml AC. I changed lures not long after this due to a crack in the bib. I tied on a small Purple and gold Hammerhead and 30 odd casts later and I was on to a thumping 58cm Murray.... Good decision to come out! 
PB 60cm Golden Perch
There was a nice piece of water at the edge of the weir that looked like it just had to produce fish, there was a log in the water and a nice little back current on the edge of it. As I ran my small Hammerhead through a few times it was demolished by biggish fish, I called it for a 45-55cm Trout Cod, but to my surprise it turned out to be a 60cm Golden Perch in great condition. What was even more surprising was the quality of the fight in this fish. Golden's aren't known for their fighting prowess but this one performed very well in the fast water! This was a PB Golden for me and at 60cm is a credable fish, even compared to impoundment standards!....Very good decision to come out!



Add caption
I called an end to this session after this fish as I was happy to end it on such a good note. I'll probably head back out this afternoon, because apparently the water only started  coming back over the weir late last night. I think by this afternoon a few more fish may have caught wind of this and it may be back to what it was like last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment