Monday, January 10, 2011

Old Man Creek 9-01-11

I was really keen to get back out to my local water after hearing some unbelievable reports coming in from it. Micheal Kanck had fished the weir on two consecutive days in the afternoon and managed to land a whopping 23 fish in 3.5 hours on the first day and 15 odd more the next! I headed out at about 5.30am and arrived at the weir at about 6.15am, there was already a few blokes fishing and after chatting to one of them I found out that he had landed a massive 30 fish on Thursday afternoon.
There is a lot of talk about how these floods will give the natives a chance to breed, however we can only hope that they have bred better that the carp in this water way! There were copious amounts of juvinile carp schooling on the edges of the creek and at the weir. Dissapointing!
I continued to fish with these guys for a couple of hours for no result. Toni Bennett managed to land a small Golden Perch, but nothing else while I was there. I stayed until about 8.30am and got a heap of photos on my new DSLR. When I got home early, Prue was very happy... I thought that was a wise move!! Until I told her I was heading back out that afternoon... not a wise move!
Headed back out with the yak in the afternoon with Kanck. We had a bit of a scout around and I had a few problms with my sounder. But I still managed to get onto a small Murray Cod and a decent Trout Cod.

Tony Bennett and landing his small Golden Perch

I took big risk and ran my lure through a real gauntlet of snags and really fast flowing water, and had I have got snagged there was a real chance of a capsize! But I managed to pull the Trout Cod from this gauntlet and it fought incredibly well for its size, and to this day it was my most enjoyable catch from the yak. I have caught some much larger Murray Cod from my Hobie, but they didn't compare to this little Trout Cod. Becasue there was a combination of elements involved in finally landing this fish, it was very satisfying.
Ended up getting smashed by a thunderstorm later that arvo and it turned out to be one of the more uncomfortable sessions that I have endured... however it was still a lot of fun!!!
It's a very satisfying thing to be hearing such good reports for this little system, I have a really good feeling about the coming few years and I think there is a good chance of a monster or two coming out of here this season... Fingers crossed!

 Unfortunalty I was shooting my DSLR in RAW images because they are more easily edited however this website cannot recognise the images! Annoying! I will fix it so next time I can post a few more pics!
Results
  • 1 Murray Cod
  • 1 Trout Cod
Weather
  • BOM - 1013
  • Patchy Cloud, turned into Thunderstorm
  • Water Tempt - 23*C
  • Slight to strong winds

No comments:

Post a Comment