Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fisheries @ Old Man Ck, Blowering & Tumut river x 2

Rainbows like this are prolific throughout the Tumut River
Had a few days of work last week so I headed out to the creek for a quick look, we had received plenty of rain over the weekend so I was not overly confident but I was keen for some exercise. I was by a very dirty creek so this was only going to be a short and dissapointing trip. On the way to the weir I was greeted by two fisheries inspectors. This was quite a surprise, what was worse was the fact that my license had expired 14 days ago which I was not aware of and received a very stern warning and had to get it renewed straight away. I was also informed of the fact that the weir is closed to fishing. This is not publicised anywhere on the dpi website but I was assured it is closed.... bummer! Needless to say I didn't catch any fish!
Hooked up to a fiesty Rainbow

Matt fishing a nice run

I planned a trip to fish the Gooba river on Sunday but with it being pretty high we opted to head to Blowering in the yaks instead. Blowering has apparently been firnig over the past week or so and it didn't fish to bad. We both landed a few reddies, but it became pretty hot by mid morning so we pack up and headed into the Tumut river.
Add caption
The Tumut is a very attractive waterway
This was an amazing session, clear blue skies and clear, cold water made for some great polaroiding action, we managed to extract 8 fish in the few hours we fished the river with the biggest going appoximatly 45cm. 





The only Brown for the day.
This had me pretty excited and when I had the day off work yesterday I thought I would take my brother up so he could have a crack at the fish with the fly rod. Conditions were not ideal, with ptachy cloud making polaroiding very difficult. However I did manage to land about 10-15 fish all of which were small rainbows around 25cm-35cm mark, only one Brown which was also the biggest fish for the day at about 35cm - 40cm. Not a bad session but it would have been nice to get onto a few bigger fish, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment